En español


Green Card Through Marriage

Marriage Green Card Attorney in Paducah, Kentucky

Do you want to obtain a green card for your spouse through marriage? If you answered yes, you’ve reached the perfect page! This article will lead you through the basic requirements, process, and more regarding the marriage-based green card process.

Don’t go through the process alone. Allow our law firm to provide you with competent legal services and help you make your application journey as smooth as possible. Our marriage green card attorney is equipped with an in-depth understanding of immigration laws and other related policies. They also have a solid skill set developed throughout years of experience in dealing with immigration matters.

Let us address any of your immigration issues. Schedule a consultation with us today!

Why do I need a Kentucky Marriage Green Card Attorney?

While the application process is straightforward for marriage based green card, the most challenging part you’ll have to face is proving your marriage is valid and bona fide. USCIS will be very strict with this requirement.

Hiring the help of a Kentucky family immigration lawyer will increase your chances of having your application approved. And if USCIS denies your application, our lawyer knows how to appeal your case. 

Get that permanent residence status with our help. Schedule a consultation with us today!

marriage green card attorney

Green Card Through Marriage

A green card can permanently open the door to living and working in the United States for a foreign national spouse who desires to reunite with their U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder spouse.

A green card is a document that grants you immigration rights in the United States, among which are obtaining some government benefits or aid and living and working permanently in the United States. Most importantly, it offers a way to U.S. citizenship.

While such a document is beneficial for immigration purposes, you should know that there are specific requirements, especially for those marrying a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder).

A qualifying family member of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, such as children, siblings, and parents, can also obtain a green card. To help you understand family-based immigration, here’s a brief rundown of who is eligible for a green card:

Immediate Relatives of a U.S. Citizen

  • A U.S. citizen’s spouse
  • A U.S. citizen’s unmarried child under the age of 21
  • The parent of a U.S. citizen (only applicable if the petitioner is 21 years of age or older).

Family Preference Immigrants

  • First preference: unmarried children (21 years of age and older) of U.S. citizens;
  • Second preference (A): spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents;
  • Second preference (B): unmarried children (21 years of age and older) of lawful permanent residents;
  • Third preference: married children of U.S. citizens; and
  • Fourth preference (F4) – siblings of U.S. citizens (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age and older).

If you have any plans of getting a green card for your qualified family relative, get in touch with our family immigration attorney, who has helped individuals reunite with their loved ones.

But for this article, we will only focus on getting a green card as a spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.

Who Qualifies for A Green Card Through Marriage?

Applying for lawful permanent residency (a green card) in the United States based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is a reasonably straightforward route to obtaining a green card by couples.

For one to be eligible, here are the requirements one must meet:

The marriage must be legal.

Your marriage to your spouse must be legal. That means the nation or state where you were married recognizes your union officially. You can obtain an official marriage record from a government institution or office. That is one proof of the legality of the marriage.

Is it alright if your marriage did not happen in the United States? Yes, you do not have to marry in the United States for your marriage to be legal. You can get married anywhere you choose as long as it is legal and recognized by the country where you got married.

However, there are some things that the United States government will not allow under specific situations, such as proxy weddings (in which someone else stands in for the bride or groom during the ceremony) and domestic partnerships (there’s no formalization of your relationship).

If you are unsure if your marriage is legal or eligible for a green card, contact us right away so that our marriage green card attorney in Paducah, Kentucky, can sit down with you and discuss any of your immigration issues.

Your Marriage Was Entered in Good Faith.

The USCIS is very particular about this one since there are certain occasions where couples will just marry to obtain a green card. When we say marriage entered into in good faith, we mean weddings by two persons who desire to start a life together as husband and wife and not for immigration purposes only.

USCIS will require you to provide documents proving your marriage is not fake or a sham. You must show that you and your spouse are actually building a life. You can provide documents like leases on apartments, joint bank account statements, utility bills, and more.

Your spouse is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.

You must show proof of your spouse’s US citizenship or immigration status. You can accomplish this by submitting a copy of your spouse’s naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, U.S. birth certificate, green card, or other documentation. 

Another consideration is that if you are married to a U.S. citizen, you will be classified as an immediate relative. That means your green card application will be processed quickly as there is no cap on the number of immigrant visas available each year. On the other hand, those married to a lawful permanent resident will have to wait a long time because the quantity of immigration visas is limited each year.

How Do I Apply For A Green Card Through Marriage?

An excellent place to start is determining if you are eligible for a green card through marriage. However, this does not guarantee a green card right away. You should expect months or perhaps years for your application to be processed. It is natural to encounter some difficulties along the road. It would be advantageous to have a Kentucky marriage green card attorney to advise you and assist you when you need it.

The following are the general steps in getting a green card through marriage:

Step 1: Fill out form I-130.

The petitioning spouse must submit Form I-130 to the USCIS as the first step in the application process. This form aims to prove or establish the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary by answering questions related to your eligibility. 

In addition to submitting the form, you must also attach the required documents. Some of these requirements are your marriage certificate, proof of citizenship, proof of marriage being bona fide, and so on.

Once everything is all set, you can submit the said documents. You can apply online or by mail

Step 2: File your Green Card Application.

The next step is to apply for a green card after receiving approval from the USCIS for your Form I-130. Remember that the procedure for applying for a green card may vary depending on where you apply.

Consular Processing

This refers to applicants outside the United States. They submit their green card application through a U.S. consulate near or within their home country. 

After Form I-130 is approved, USCIS will forward it to the appropriate U.S. consulate. The National Visa Center (NVC) is usually in charge of consular processing.

Once your case is forwarded to the appropriate embassy, the NVC will send you information regarding your case. That includes the process, interview appointment, and so on. 

Remember that the process may differ depending on the U.S. consulate. Be sure to check to see whether they have sent you a notification.

Adjustment of Status

This process is available for those applying inside the United States under a valid visa or legal status. In general, you must file Form I-485 with the required documents.  You can find these requirements on the USCIS website

Remember that you do not have to wait for your Form I-130 to be approved before submitting for adjustment of status application. That means you can file them concurrently.

Step 3: Attend your interview.

An immigration officer will interview you once USCIS or NVC approves your application for processing. This is one of the most crucial parts of your application journey. The U.S. government uses this to see if you are telling the truth or not. So it would be better to go to the venue prepared to avoid facing difficulties.  

If you are concerned you will say something incorrectly during the interview, contact our experienced immigration lawyer to guide you and help you practice before going through the interview.

Call our Kentucky Marriage Green Card Attorney Now!

Preparing for any immigration process should be your priority. Don’t be complacent, even if the process seems straightforward. Immigration applications pose challenges along the way. Employing a Paducah immigration attorney with experience in immigration law can help you avoid difficulties early on.

As a law office, we pride ourselves on giving our clients uncomplicated legal advice and effective representation. Some of our clients faced deportation, while others sought humanitarian relief visas, such as temporary protected status or asylum.

Don’t let the opportunity to reunite with your loved ones pass you. Schedule a consultation with us today!

Let our immigration attorneys help you!

Popup form

Get Your Free Copy

[gravityform id="7" title="false" description="false" ajax="true"]