En español


How to get an H-2B Visa

H-2B Visa Lawyer in Paducah, Kentucky

You may need to apply for an H-2B visa if you are a foreign national who wishes to come to the United States to work temporarily in a non-agricultural job. The H-2B visa is designed for workers who are needed to perform temporary, seasonal, peak-load, or intermittent work in the United States and cannot be found in sufficient numbers in the U.S. workforce.

If you are coming to the United States to work on a temporary basis, and your employer is unable to find qualified workers in the U.S., you may be eligible for an H-2B visa. It’s important to note that the H-2B visa is a nonimmigrant visa, which means that it does not lead to permanent residency in the United States.

Why do I need an H-2B Visa Lawyer in Paducah?

While it is not required to have a lawyer when applying for an H-2B visa, working with an experienced immigration lawyer can be helpful in many ways. 

Immigration law can be complex, and the employment visa application process involves a significant amount of documentation and requirements. An immigration lawyer can provide guidance on the specific requirements and processes involved in the H-2B visa application process, prepare and review all required documentation, and help ensure that the application is complete and accurate. They can also communicate with USCIS on your behalf and assist with appeals and re-filing of the application if it is denied.

When you choose our immigration law firm, you won’t have to worry about the procedure. We’ve represented countless clients in immigration court and guided countless more through the immigration process. For your visa applications, you can rely on our attorneys’ vast knowledge of immigration law.

What is an H-2B Visa?

The H-2B visa is a temporary, nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign workers to enter the United States and work in non-agricultural jobs for a temporary period of time. The H-2B visa is typically used by employers who have a temporary, seasonal, or peak load need for additional workers and who are unable to find qualified workers within the U.S. workforce. 

Some of the common industries that use H-2B visas include

  • The hospitality industry, including hotels, restaurants, and amusement parks
  • Landscaping and groundskeeping
  • Seasonal construction jobs
  • Seasonal manufacturing jobs
  • Forestry and fishing industries

The H-2B visa is valid for a maximum period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension in certain circumstances.

Is There a Yearly Cap for H-2B Visa?

Yes, there is a yearly cap on the number of H-2B visas that can be issued each fiscal year. 

The cap is set by the U.S. government and is currently set at 66,000 visas per fiscal year, with 33,000 visas available for workers who begin employment in the first half of the fiscal year (October 1 – March 31) and 33,000 visas available for workers who begin employment in the second half of the fiscal year (April 1 – September 30).

However, it is worth noting that there are certain exemptions to the cap, such as workers who are returning to work for the same employer or workers who are performing labor or services in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or Guam. It is important to keep in mind that because the H-2B visa is subject to an annual cap, it can be competitive to obtain, and it is important to apply as early as possible.

What are the benefits of having an H-2B Visa

There are several benefits to having an H-2B visa, including the following:

  • Temporary Work Authorization: An H-2B visa allows you to work legally in the United States for a specific period of time, usually up to 9 months. This can provide an opportunity to earn a higher income and gain valuable work experience.
  • Multiple Entries: Unlike some other nonimmigrant visas, an H-2B visa allows for multiple entries into the United States during the visa’s validity period. This can be useful if you need to travel back and forth between the United States and your home country during the visa’s validity period.
  • Ability to Bring Dependents: H-2B visa holders may be able to bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States on an H-4 dependent visa. While H-4 visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States, they are allowed to attend school.
  • Opportunity to Extend: In some cases, it may be possible to extend an H-2B visa beyond the initial period of authorized stay. This can be useful if your employer needs you to continue working in the United States or if you wish to stay longer for personal reasons.

With an H-2B visa, you and your family can temporarily reside and work in the United States, where you can pick up new skills and experience while simultaneously providing for your loved ones. 

You’re already one step closer to having an H-2B visa with the help of our Paducah H-2B visa lawyers. When it comes to visas, our attorneys have helped other foreign nationals just like you. So, you can rely on us for the best possible legal services, whether you need help with an immigration matter or something else entirely.

How to apply for an H-2B Visa?

The process for applying for an H-2B visa in Paducah, KY, is similar to the process for applying for an H-2B visa in other parts of the United States. Here are the general steps involved:

  • Find an Employer: To apply for an H-2B visa, you must have a job offer from a U.S. employer. The employer must first obtain a temporary labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) to show that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to perform the job.
  • File a Petition: Once the employer has obtained the temporary labor certification, they must file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The petition must be filed on behalf of the foreign worker.
  • Attend an Interview: The foreign worker may be required to attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. This is to determine whether they meet the eligibility requirements for the visa.
  • Receive Visa: If the petition is approved and the interview is successful, the foreign worker will be issued an H-2B visa. They can then travel to the United States to work for the employer who sponsored them.

The H-2B visa application process can be complex, and there are specific deadlines and requirements that must be met. Our experienced immigration lawyers are equipped with comprehensive knowledge of immigration law to help ensure that your application process goes smoothly and has the best chance of success. 

Required documents for H-2B Visa application

When you apply for an H-2B visa, you will be required to produce a number of documents to support your application in order to be considered. These documents might include the following items:

  • Passport: A valid passport is required to apply for an H-2B visa. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the intended period of stay in the United States.
  • Form DS-160: This is an online nonimmigrant visa application form that must be completed and submitted to the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
  • Job Offer Letter: You must have a job offer from a U.S. employer in order to apply for an H-2B visa. The job offer letter should include information about the position, the duration of the job, the salary, and other relevant details.
  • Temporary Labor Certification: Your employer must obtain a temporary labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) to show that there are no U.S. workers available to perform the job.
  • Evidence of Qualifications: You may be required to provide evidence of your qualifications to perform the job, such as education, training, or work experience.
  • Financial Documents: You may be required to provide evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while in the United States.
  • Photograph: You will need to provide a recent color photograph that meets the specifications of the U.S. embassy or consulate.

It is important to note that the specific documents required may vary depending on the embassy or consulate where you are applying and the specifics of your situation. Our Paducah immigration lawyers have the experience to guide you on the specific requirements for your H-2B visa application. Don’t hesitate to ask for our assistance. 

Can I transfer my H-2B visa to H-1B visa?

It is possible to transfer from an H-2B visa to an H-1B visa, but it requires meeting certain eligibility requirements and going through the H-1B visa application process.

When dealing with immigration issues, having a lawyer on your side who is well-versed in handling such situations is vital. Your own H1-B visa attorney is the way to go. You will have someone to speak up for you if issues arise with your employer.

Get an H-2B Visa with Citizenship & Immigration Law Firm in Paducah, KY

If you are applying for an H-2B visa in Paducah, KY, it is highly recommended to work with an experienced immigration lawyer. An immigration lawyer can help guide you through the complex application process, ensure that all required documents are properly filed and submitted, and increase your chances of a successful outcome. They can also advise you on any legal issues or concerns that may arise throughout the process. 

At our law firm in Paducah, we have a team of dedicated immigration lawyers who have years of experience in handling H-2B visa applications. We pride ourselves on providing personalized attention to each client and working diligently to achieve their immigration goals. 

Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn how we can assist you with your H-2B visa application.

Let our immigration attorneys help you!

Popup form

Get Your Free Copy

[gravityform id="7" title="false" description="false" ajax="true"]